• Merredin Veterinary Hospital
  • 90411734
  • 29 Todd street, Merredin

Rodenticide poisoning: The silent killer

We have seen an increase in the number of pets being presented with mouse bait poisoning. Most common rodenticides affect the clotting of the blood. It usually takes between 3 and 5 days for an animal to show signs of ingesting the poison, however, it may take up to a week. As soon as you are aware that your pet may have had access to rat and mouse poison contact your veterinarian. Starting treatment as soon as possible after rodenticide ingestion can prevent symptoms from progressing to becoming life threatening.

As rodenticides affect the clotting of blood, signs and symptoms can include, but are not limited to:
- trouble breathing due to bleeding into the lungs
- coughing
- blood in the urine or faeces
- pale pink to white gums
- bruising of the skin
- bleeding from the nose, mouth or anus
- lethargy
- continued bleeding from small wounds or cuts

Luckily, there is an antidote available for rodenticide poisoning and most animals have no complications if it is administered before any signs or symptoms appear.

Secondary poisoning can also occur. If your pet ingests an animal that has been affected or killed by a rodenticide, it can potentially lead to the same problems. While this is not as common, it is still something to keep in mind.

The best way to prevent rodenticide poisoning is to avoid using any kind of bait. Even if they are kept out of the reach of your pets, there is still the possibility that rats and mice can move them around.

If you are worried about your pets and rodenticide poisoning or would like any further information, please do not hesitate to give us a call on 90411734.