United Kingdom Import from Australia
Travel within the EU and from listed countries
When you enter or return to the UK from Austrlaia (Or another EU country) your pet must meet the entry requirements.
VACCINATION AND TREATMENTS REQUIRED
Step 1: Microchip
- Your pet(s) must be recognized by a 15-digit ISO compatible microchip, which must be implanted before the most recent vaccination against rabies.
Step 2: Rabies Vaccination
Timeframe: At least 21 days prior to travel.
- Your pet(s) most recent rabies vaccination must be greater than 21 days old and less than 1 year old at the time of the final health exam for travel from Aus to the UK
- Approved rabies vaccine certificate From an Aqis Veterinarian :
Step 3: General Vaccinations United Kingdom Import Requirements from Aus
Timeframe: Dependent upon the validity of your pet(s) most current vaccinations.
- If your pet(s) will require boarding for any length of time, please ensure they are up-to-date on the following general vaccinations below. These vaccines should be valid for the entire boarding period.
- Dogs – DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus) and Bordatella.
- Cats– FVRCP (Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calcivirus, Panleukopaenia).
Step 4: Tapeworm (Echinococcus) Treatment (Dogs Only)
Timeframe: Between 1-5 days (between 24 and 120 hours) before your pet(s) arrival into the United Kingdom.
- This treatment must contain praziquantel as the active ingredient.
- The tapeworm treatment must be recorded in Section 7 in the Annex IV EU Certificate. The vet must record:
- The name and manufacturer of the product
- The date and time that they treated your pet(s)
- Their stamp and signature
Step 5: Australian Export Health Certificate and Permit
- Timeframe: 1 Day prior to departure
If you are planing to Returning back to Australia
Dogs RETURNING TO AUSTRALIA FROM THE UNITED KINGDOM:
- If you are planning to relocate back to Australia with your pet in the next two years, please discuss this with Dr Phil the aqis vet . We strongly recommend that prior to your pet(s) leaving Australia, the following is done:
- A blood test for the rabies titer level done by a DAFF approved vet and sent to a Government Approved Lab (note that this test should be conducted at least 30 days after the most recent vaccination against rabies to ensure a sufficient titer result). This blood test is valid for a period of two years as long as your pet(s) rabies is consistently kept up-to-date. This will potentially circumvent a 180 day wait period to bring your pet back into Australia from the United Kingdom.
YOUR PET(S) TRAVEL DATE
The following ORIGINAL documents must travel together with your pet(s)
Proof of Microchip and implant date
ORIGINAL Rabies Vaccination Certificate
ORIGINAL DAFF Export Permit and Health Certificate
ORIGINAL Annex IV EU Certificate with Government Endorsement + Declaration
Pets traveling into the United Kingdom are only permitted to travel as manifest cargo in the pet cabin section of the plane. They are not permitted to travel as accompanied baggage or in cabin with their owners.
BANNED BREEDS: https://www.gov.uk/control-dog-public/banned-dogs
Sedation is your pet
The use of any sedative for your pet(s) is strongly discouraged as per the American Veterinary Association. The main reason for this is because the effects of sedation at altitude can be different than at ground level. This can affect pets in many adverse ways.
A.Q.I.S. Accredited Vet
If you are taking your pet overseas our A.Q.I.S Accredited vet can help you with matters pertaining to export.